Thursday, September 7, 2017

“My Blue Heaven” by Secret Weapons – A Song Review

     The song structure is dynamic. The vocals are varied and energizing. The instrumental support is effective and, at times, engrossing. Yes, “My Blue Heaven” is a standout in the Synth Rock genre. Add in lyrics that are motivating and creative enough to splice in a connection to the final scene of “Wizard of Oz” (where Dorothy proclaims “And you were there…”). We enjoy "Limousine" and other tracks from Secret Weapons’ album, but “My Blue Heaven” is the clear favorite. The title of their album is “The Setting Sun Comes Crashing Down On Me Track.”

     Within the Synth Rock genre, a song’s tempo is critical to gaining attention. Then, creative touches and skills in executing those touches determine whether a listener’s interest is maintained beyond a few opportunities to hear the song. “My Blue Heaven” delivers. Just within the forty-second start of the single, there are transitions from synth-supported vocals, to an acapella delivery of the line “my blue heaven,” and then to percussion-driven group vocals.

     Secret Weapons is Gerry Lange and Danny Rocco from Brooklyn, New York. The SubmitHub content regarding the band is both revealing and interesting:
  “Secret Weapons has undoubtedly been through the ringer — perhaps the boys didn’t even realize when choosing their band name that that name was destined for two musicians who would coincidentally serve as their own arsenal of perseverance — strange how destiny finds its way.
  After a summer of touring with bands like Weezer and Panic! at the Disco with their debut four song EP in 2016, the guys were seemingly on the rise…. Until things got strangely serious, and lead singer Gerry Lange got strangely ill.
  While attempting to uphold their image of the ‘fun synth-rock duo from Brooklyn,’ the duo kept Gerry’s mysterious health struggles quiet. The band continued to struggle to finish their full length LP, while Gerry was often barely able to get through his performances, and even experienced partial vocal paralysis while tracking songs.
  Songs on their just released full length LP, ‘As the Setting Sun Comes Down on Me” took a swift left turn in subject matter — from the previously released playful and fun, to songs about survival. The album art even features a dark figure carrying another limp, almost lifeless body — perhaps a visual metaphor showing just what it took to complete this mountain of a project. Danny Rocco says ‘Strangely, the album became about making the album.’ The latest single ‘My Blue Heaven’ embodies that very struggle.

       “My Blue Heaven” by Secret Weapons


Lyrics of “My Blue Heaven” by Secret Weapons
Is anybody home?
Can somebody hear me?
Am I all alone?
With the snakes in the valley?
Break on through
You'll see the damage done
River take me to
Where I always run
My blue heaven

(Woo oo oo oo)
[Repeat 3x]

Is anybody home?
Can somebody hear me?
A rattle in my bones
Am I going crazy?
Break on through
You'll see what I've become
And you're worth saving too
The place I'm dreaming of
My blue heaven

(Woo oo oo oo)
[Repeat 3x]

We don't want to beat to the beat of the drum
We just want peace and love
[Repeat 7x]

Is anybody home?
Is anybody home?

Americans, I was only a boy
I close my eyes
I close my eyes when I see it!
You over there!
And you over there!
And you over there!
Everything was perfect as it is now
And everything is working out

Is anybody home?
Is anybody home?

(Woo oo oo oo)
[Repeat 3x]

Just take me to home
Take me to home
Take me

Fall Tour Dates:
9/14       Providence, RI @ Columbus Theatre
9/15       South Burlington, VT @ Higher Ground Showcase
9/16       Northampton, MA @ Pearl Street
9/20       Portsmouth, NH @ 3S Artspace
9/21       Hamden, CT @ The Ballroom at The Outer Space
9/23       Washington DC @ Gypsy Sally's
9/28       Durham, NC @ Motorco Music Hall
9/29       Asheville, NC @ The Grey Eagle
9/30       Charlottesville, VA @ The Southern
10/12     Long Island, NY @ Tilles Center (w/ BLEACHERS)

No comments:

Post a Comment