Friday, July 21, 2017

“Gasoline” by The Federal Empire – A Song Review

      The Federal Empire is not a one-melody pony. We're ready to argue that their previous release, “What Are We Fighting For,” is the top anthem of 2017 (and top protest song). Now, they show a tender side with a relationship lament. “Gasoline” is downtempo compared to the earlier release, but has a heightened sophistication in its arrangement.
     The sophistication is most apparent during the final 90 seconds of “Gasoline,” when the song evolves texturally. Vocally, the evolution is from a single voice to harmonization within the same registration (at 3:32), then adds a higher-octave, slightly anguished voice (at 3:59), and completes the texturing when lyrical layering is employed (at 4:12). Instrumentally, thunderous percussion enters at the same time as the anguished voice.
     But sophistication is not limited to the final 90 seconds and is not a measure of complexity. For example, within the intro, a piano makes its entrance and quickly exits after only a few notes. The piano is simple, but impactful. 

     The core members of The Federal Empire are Chad Wolf and McKay Stevens. They are based in Los Angeles.

     Quoting SubmitHub content:
  This new single is very special to us. We often times use our songwriting sessions as a form of group therapy where we will all sit around and talk about our relationships and what's been happening. Our lead singer, Chad Wolf, has been married once before and divorced and now his 2nd marriage is going through a separation. This song Gasoline is about relationships ending and our self destructive habits and how our whole worlds can just disappear in the smoke and flames of it all. You can hear the heartfelt delivery in Chad's voice as he has really been broken down with this experience in his life as they have a 5 year old son together. He is trying to keep it all together and music is the main thing keeping him going right now through the tough times.
  The song can apply to anyone who has been in a relationship and seen it burned to the ground. And especially those of us who keep going through the self-destructive cycle even when we might know it is hurting us. "Play with fire you'll get burned, I should've known, I never learn". The song builds slowly with minimal, ambient production and ends with a cinematic climax. Hope you enjoy it!
  We play the Orange County Summer Concert Series Thursday night July 20th and then Sofar Sounds in Culver City Saturday night July 22nd. We also play the Chinatown Summer Nights festival August 5th in Downtown Los Angeles. Other shows include:
Alleged, Ogden, UT Sep 1st
Mount Timpanogos Festival, Orem, UT Sep 2nd
Emo Nite, Los Angeles, CA Sep 5th
Chinook Music Festival, Yakima, WA, Sep 8th
High Dive, Seattle, WA, Sep 9th
Emerge Music Festival, Las Vegas, NV Nov 16th

     “Gasoline” by The Federal Empire


Lyrics of “Gasoline” by The Federal Empire
It was perfect
We shared it all
Conversations big and small
Don’t know why we have to change

You were fire after dark
You always had a thing for sparks
Don’t know why we have to change

It’s so hard
Standing here
Watching my life
Disappear

Everything I had in a burning sea
Choking on the smoke in the ash I breathe
You came into my life and
Made a whole big mess of me
With a match and gasoline

Brand new flame it starts again
A different name with the same end
I  don’t know why we have to change

Play with fire
You’ll get burned
I should’ve known
When will I learn
I don’t know why I never change

It’s so hard
Standing here
Watching my life
Disappear

Everything I had in a burning sea
Choking on the smoke in the ash I breathe
You came into my life and
Made a whole big mess of me

Everything I had in a burning sea
Choking on the smoke in the ash I breathe
You came into my life and
Made a whole big mess of me
With a match and gasoline

With a match and gasoline
With a match and gasoline
With a match and gasoline

Play with fire
You’ll get burned
Should’ve known
I never learn
Play with fire
You’ll get burned
I should’ve known
When will I learn
[Repeating]


No comments:

Post a Comment