Tuesday, June 20, 2017

“If Before I Wake” by The Districts – A Song Review

     We had to listen to three different stream sources (Soundcloud, Bandcamp and YouTube) to be convinced that the background melodic noises were indeed part of the song and were intentional. They are musical notes, but aren’t aligned with the main melody. The mixing is well conceived – the notes are apparent without being too distracting. And what is their source? The start sounds like a plucked violin, the middle like a music box, and the end like a piano.
     We’re curious, but would have quickly moved to the next song if not for the arrangement of vocals, the guitars, and the vocal conviction. These guys aren’t lacking confidence or a willingness to experiment. The switch in guitar effects and style (slide, we believe) that is first heard at 0:58 is adventuresome.

      There are opportunities to see The Districts in concert. For San Franciscans, the date is July 3, 2017, when the band will visit The Independent. For a full schedule, visit http://thedistrictsband.com/#shows. The tour is in promotion of their upcoming album. “Popular Manipulations,” which is scheduled to drop on August 11, 2017. 
     The District are from Philadelphia, PA. The member are Rob Grote (vocals, guitar), Pat Cassidy (guitar), Connor Jacobus (bass), and Braden Lawrence (drums).



Lyrics of “If Before I Wake” by The Districts
Thunder woke me up, it was storming in the city
I was suddenly wide awake.
Sitting in the darkness, but my eyes, they had adjusted
I was on my own, on my own.

I still find it scary, lightning sure could start a fire,
Brick and mortar might not survive.
Would you start to miss me, would you start to miss me?
Or am I all alone?
No, I'm just a narcissist

Too blessed to be depressed, thank Jesus
God I'm bending over, love me
I wish you'd take my sins out on me
I'll be your ever after, honey

Thunder woke me up, it was storming in the city
I was suddenly wide awake
Sitting in the darkness, but my eyes, they had adjusted
I was on my own, on my own

I still find it scary, lightning sure could start a fire,
Brick and mortar might not survive
Would you start to miss me, would you start to miss me?
Or am I all alone?
No, I'm just a narcissist
I'm just a narcissist


No comments:

Post a Comment