Monday, June 26, 2017

"Brother" by Kodaline – A Video and Song Review

     The lyrics and the video tell different stories, but both are compelling. The video is particularly emotion. A death separates the surviving brother from his big brother. They are rejoined during the night of the burial. The returning brother has powers that mortals don’t possess, but the focus is upon typical sibling activities, including sword fighting and pitching a tent from blankets and living room furniture.
     In the morning, the little brother wakes up alone. While being consoled by his parents, he sees the reflection of his brother within a picture of the two boys. As the reflection moves out of the picture, the song finishing “I've got you brother.” The effect is emotional and reassuring.

     The moving story shown by the video involves young brothers from a single family. In comparison, the lyrics are built around adults who are not blood “brothers,” but who have a brother-like relationship. In fact, they may have matching tattoos:
Oh brother, we go deeper than the ink
beneath the skin of our tattoos
Though we don't share the same blood
You're my brother and I love you, that's the truth

     Kodaline are singer Steve Garrigan, guitarist Mark Prendergast, bassist Jason Boland and drummer Vinny May. The SubmitHub description for “Brother” states:
  "For the video, Kodaline have teamed up their long-time collaborator, director Stevie Russell (All I Want, High Hopes, Honest), who has created an incredibly moving and soon to be, classic Kodaline video. Be warned, you might need some tissues at the ready after you watch it.
  Speaking about the video the band say, 'It was such a pleasure to work with Stevie again, every time we read one of his scripts they jump right off the page. We can't wait for everyone to see what he's done for Brother, he really captured the perfect vibe again.'
  Singer Steve Garrigan’s vocals have never sounded so passionate. Nor has the band ever sounded so fresh. Produced by Steve Harris and Two Inch Punch, with long-time collaborator Johnny McDaid (Snow Patrol) executive producer, ‘Brother’ is mixed by Spike Stent. It’s the first addictive taste from their forthcoming new album and has anthem written all over it."

    We were fortunate in our ability to see Kodaline when they performed in San Francisco (with LP). It easily ranked in the top five live performances of the year. If you have an opportunity to see Kodaline, take advantage!



Lyrics of "Brother" by Kodaline
When we were young
We were the ones
The kings and queens
Oh yeah, we ruled the world

We smoked cigarettes
Man, no regrets
Wish I could relive
Every single word

We've taken different paths and traveled different roads
I know we'll always end up on the same one when we're old
And when you're in the trenches and you're under fire I will cover you

If I was dying on my knees
You would be the one to rescue me
And if you were drowned at sea
I'd give you my lungs, so you could breathe

I've got you brother
[Repeat 3x]

Oh brother, we go deeper than the ink
Beneath the skin of our tattoos
Though we don't share the same blood
You're my brother and I love you, that's the truth

We're living different lives, heaven only knows
If we'll make it back with all our fingers and our toes
Five years, twenty years, come back, we'll always be the same

If I was dying on my knees
You would be the one to rescue me
And if you were drowned at sea
I'd give you my lungs so you could breathe

I've got you brother
I've got you brother

And if we hit on troubled water
I'll be the one to keep you warm and safe
And we'll be carrying each other
Until we say goodbye on our dying day

Because I've got you brother
I've got you brother
I've got you brother
I've got you brother

If I was dying on my knees
You would be the one to rescue me
And if you were drowned at sea
I'd give you my lungs so you could breathe

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

I've got you brother
I've got you brother




23 comments:

  1. this song is great, my sister was going to sing it for me but didnt have the courage, we share a deep connection, and i think that this song just proved that our connection went deeper then either of us thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. this song for me was about my biological brother who i never got to know, he died when he was twelve because my mother was on drugs and wasn't watching him and he got ran over by and 18-wheeler and to this day i don't know him and i hate my biological mother, she put me up for adoption when i was born and chose drugs over her kids. i would give anything to see him again.

      Delete
    2. awww, i'm so sorry! when i was 3 i got taken away from my brother i haven't seen him since, and i pretend i'm singing this to my brother. my mother also chose drugs and alcohol, and my dad has been in jail for a long time, i miss him but im also mad at him for never being there for me when i was getting bullied. i hope you safe and healthy and i wish the best to you <3

      Delete
    3. this song is for my grandmas and grandpas i never got to see them...

      Delete
  3. This song is one that I want to sing for my older brother because he is always there for me and know what it is like to be a high schooler and we have a bond that no one else has in our family

    ReplyDelete
  4. today i had a vision that my older brother j.j. was hanging off a cliff and a ran as fast as i could but he slipped and i c c-couldn't save him in time i felt like a failure i cried in the bathroom after the vision ended i don't know if that might happend and im scared for him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mother's eldest brother died at 15 when my mom was 5, they had a strong connection even though they were step siblings. I never got to meet him though. My Mom is in her 30's but she never forgets about him.

      Delete
  5. please reply and i hope nothing bad happends to my older brother i can't live without my older brother

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song is so beautiful... I love my older brother so much and don't know who or where i would be without him... when i first watched the video i started crying because me and my brother are really close

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna lie, I was crying me and my eldest brother have a tight bond. I have visions to, but mine was of someone with shorter hair so I couldn’t tell the gender. But their was someone hanging over a cliff but the first person’s caught them in time but barely. I hope this makes you feel better

      Delete
  7. I wish I could sing this to a good friend that died in my team he was shot down 8,000 miles in the air and his shoot didn't deploy I will miss him forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first time I heard this song, It reminded me of the brotherly bond that Edward and Alphonse has in Fullmetal Alchemist, They did the dam near impossible for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brothers not gone but I do not get to see him very often. And this song just makes me realize how much i would miss him and how I couldn't even function if something happened to him. My brother means everything to me❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I am the oldest brother in my family, this song really describes me and my older sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been listening this song since 2017 but the deeper meaning came onboard just this month after I lost everything. Zero now!. To me, so I ranked this song as the most emotionally detach from this planet, as I've lost all! My wish is for everybody to be happy everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I first heard this song in while searching for a perfect song to go with a picture video of my brother. I lost my brother a few weeks prior to brain cancer. The four of us are so close and when I heard this song it touched me deeply and as the lyrics went with my brothers pictures it was beautifully heartbreaking. It’s such a powerful song.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This song hits hard, I had it in my playlist as me, my brother and mother were dealing with my horrible dad and it hurts more as he died in a car accident April this year, I’ve been having dreams that he’s there and I wake up to him knowing that I’ll never see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore this song and video by Kodaline! 🎶 It's such a heartwarming and touching piece of art. It's amazing how music can capture the essence of emotions, and "Brother" certainly does that.
    https://promocodehq.com/activeandfit-direct-promo-code

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed reading your blog post about Kodaline's "Brother" video and song! It's always great to discover new music and explore the emotions and stories behind the songs.
    https://www.frugalishness.com/how-to-save-10000-in-6-months/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never knew my brother he had past in my mothers stomach a year before I was born. Yet I had found this song when I had lost my grandfather who I was extremely close with and have been connected with it ever since.

    ReplyDelete