Friday, July 8, 2016

“Sticky Leaves” by Linying – A Song Review

     Linying’s name isn’t completely new to the Indie blogosphere. The Singapore singer/songwriter was featured in a Folktronic song from Calan Mai, namely “Mountain Mountain.” Still, her first Soundcloud share is an “ear opener.”

     The quality of Linying’s vocals in “Sticky Leaves” is undeniable. There is an uncommon purity. Then, there’s the vocal layering toward the end of “Sticky Leaves” – count us as fans.
      Pasting a portion of the email submission:
  The track builds subtly, beginning from a soft hum to a quicker instrumental tempo and finishing in a resonant climax as Linying’s voice soars higher and higher.
  "I think there was a lot of disillusion and disappointment for me growing out of my teenage years and learning to live life out," Linying says about the track. "The song was probably my way of coming to terms with it -- acknowledging that there are things that you think should be but just aren't, and that there is, nevertheless, a worldly, fleshly, impermanent sort of beauty to living that's worth seeing even if without understanding."

     “Sticky Leaves” by Linying


Lyrics of “Sticky Leaves” by Linying
Is there another world you know?
Until you burn?
If you can tell me how it goes
And I will learn.

I’m keeping a rigour on the snow
To wait and see
Seeing it quiver from below
Below the leaves.

For every wreck I still believe
In the greatest life
And the stickiest leaves
And I

You say it in a foreign tongue.
You don’t know a thing about the things
I’ve done to keep
On loving that heavenly face.

Time is the only thing I know
The middle of your mixed up six words
Nothing more.

My love is proud, my love is small
My love is a Friday pouring
And a black wave cresting and
Crashing down the living room shore.

I’ve known it before, love
Sacred ground
I made a sound
Did I make it right?

Enough, go along
I know I was wrong about my might.

For every wreck I still believe
In the greatest life
And the stickiest leaves
You say it in a foreign tongue
But you don’t know a thing about the things I’ve done.

1 comment: